6 Tips to Prepare for B2B Marketing Victory in 2012
With only about three weeks to go in 2011 I hope you are turning at least some of your thoughts to what you will do in the coming days to ensure that 2012 is your best year ever. I know it is tough to close out the year strongly while simultaneously planning for the future, but it vitally important that you do so.
Year-end planning reminds me of the cartoon where the guy is standing in waist deep water swatting at large alligators with a paddle. The caption reads: “When you are up to your neck in alligators, it’s hard to remember the original objective was to drain the swamp.”
So how do you go about keeping the marketing alligators of 2011 at bay while preparing for B2B marketing success in 2012? Here are a few suggestions:
- Know where you want to go. Set specific, aggressive (but reachable) objectives for awareness, inbound inquiries and qualified leads. My recent article titled Just how many sales leads do you need? can help you calculate your 2012 sales lead requirements.
- Know your current Marketing costs and return on investment by campaign. Using the old management adage, “You can’t manage what you can’t measure”.
- Have a plan for shifting some of your marketing efforts and spending from higher-cost push marketing to lower-cost pull marketing methods.
- Resolve to drop three ineffective media/programs and replace them with three new media/programs that have good potential.
- Tie your 2012 marketing initiatives to revenue. Make sure the plan you put together has a clear connection to revenue attainment. Marketers who tie their activities to revenue have much greater job security.
- Have a plan for what you will learn in 2012, hopefully something that will make you more valuable to the organization.
And good luck with those last-minute alligators.
Latest posts by Christopher Ryan (see all)
- Assess: Your First Step to Power B2B Revenue Growth - June 12, 2019
- How to Build a Competitive Fortress for Your B2B Company - June 4, 2019
- Nine Fresh Marketing Ideas to Boost Your B2B Revenue - May 21, 2019